Attachments by Rainbow Rowell | The One That's Not in Omaha, Nebraska?


So, I read an adult romance (and enjoyed it) . . . do I get a cookie? No? Are you sure? Even though I actually really, really enjoyed it?!


As you may (or may not) know, Rainbow Rowell is a hit or miss author for me.

Eleanor & Park: Miss
Fangirl: Hit!
Landline: Miss
Attachments: HIT!
"Hi, I work downstairs, in computer support, my name is Lincoln. Look, I know this might seem out of the blue, but would you like to have coffee sometime?"
This was super cute. When I first finished it, I wasn't sure if I liked it more than Fangirl or not. Now, I know that I liked it slightly less than the former, but not for anything more than the fact that the characters were my age, not 10 years older than me. I know that if I was closer to 28 than 18, I would (possibly) have liked it even more than I adored Fangirl.


So, this book is set in the year 1999. If that is not enough for you to pick this up, then . . . I'll keep going.

But that is half of the reason I loved this book (I'm not even going to try to lie to you) because Rowell features quite a few flashbacks for her audience: emails, terrible fashion, underground rock bands, and Y2K fear (AKA Yawn 2K and Meh-llennium*).

When I first heard that this was told from the perspective of a man who reads email exchanges between two women (Beth and Jennifer) for work and falls in love with one of them, I was super weirded out because if that happpened to me . . . I would feel really weird and uncomfortable.

But Rowell does it in a very cute, simple way.

*As much as I wish these were my jokes, they actually come from comedic geniuses Beth and Jennifer, two of our three main characters.


I thought that I wouldn't like the women because I have a problem with books written in letters (in this case: emails). I just don't like them. However, with the alternating chapters of emails and Lincoln's life, it is super engaging and fun to read.

Also,, Beth and Jennifer are funny, like actually funny. Very, very funny. There were multiple times that I was actually laughing out loud. They're serious and kind when they need to be, but I loved being able to see their best friend friendship interactions. They are (very closely following the relationship) my almost favorite part of this book. They are perfect and female friendships for the win!


Content: PG-13
Highly recommend!

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Published: 14 April 2011 by Plume
Format - Pages: Paperback - 323
Source: Library
Goodreads
My Goodreads Rating
Buy it! - Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . " From the award-winning author of Eleanor & Park, Fangirl, and Landline comes a hilarious and heartfelt novel about love in the workplace.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?
Have you read this or any of Rainbow Rowell's other works? Did you like this as much as I did? Do you want to pick it up? Let me know down in the comments!


Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment