My Month in Tomes | December 2015


December was a fantastic month for reading! While everything I read wasn't fantastic, I did have quite a few really wonderful things that made up for all the crappy things I read.

Books Finished


  • GIRL ONLINE BY ZOE SUGG: Meh. This was a bad way to start off my month. Definitely one of my least favorite reads of the year, maybe ever, but I wasn't going in expecting much so it wasn't really a disappointing read. - 2 stars
  • THE RAVEN BOYS BY MAGGIE STIEFVATERI am so glad that this is the next thing that I finished because this story took me from worst of YA to the best thing that I have read in all of YA. While the first book isn't my absolute favorite, it is a very close second--or third, it's hard to list them. - 4.5 stars
  • CLOCKWORK PRINCESS BY CASSANDRA CLARE: This one was a victim of hype for me. "It's the best thing that Cassandra Clare has ever written." "Such a great series ender!" I was really let down by this book. It definitely wasn't my favorite of the series, and I thought that Cassie's ending was a little bit cheap. I kind of hate her for it. Other than the ending, I really enjoyed it, and while there was a serious lack of Magnus, I found myself really enjoying it. - 4 stars
  • SHADOW AND BONE BY LEIGH BARDUGO: I got this series from my The Broke and the Bookish Secret Santa, and I read it as soon as I got it. I had wanted to read this for a long time, and while it wasn't the absolute best thing I've read, I really enjoyed it and am excited to continue on with the trilogy (and finally read Six Of Crows). - 3.5 stars 
  • THE DREAM THIEVES BY MAGGIE STIEFVATER: Dudes, this is my favorite YA series probably ever. This is my personal favorite in the series at this point because Ronan. - 5 stars
  • THOR, VOL. 1: THE GODDESS OF THUNDER: Freaking fantastic comic series. This was such a fun time, and while it was a little slow--and I did expect it to focus more on our new Thor than it did--I loved seeing Thor kicking butt and taking names. - 4 stars
  • MS. MARVEL, VOL. 2: GENERATION WHY: This series isn't my favorite, but it is fun. It is more focused towards a younger audience, but definitely still enjoyable for older audiences. - 4 stars
  • BLUE LILY, LILY BLUE BY MAGGIE STIEFVATER: SO MUCH FUN. Maggie is not afraid to mess with our emotions, and I am honestly so scared for Gansey. We get to see so much more of the plot in this book, but not as much of the character-driven stuff that I loved so much in the second book. - 4.5 stars
  • THE SLEEPER AND THE SPINDLE BY NEIL GAIMAN: I randomly picked up this one from my library, and I enjoyed it. It was entertaining, and it definitely takes a twist on fairytales. It was totally unexpected and different experience. I did feel that Gaiman tried to stay too true to the format of classic fairytales with this book. While I loved the gorgeous illustrations, I think he should have made the story a little longer and more personal. - 3.5 stars 
  • BELOVED BY TONI MORRISON: I FINALLY FINISHED IT! I started this book for school this past fall, and just never finished the last 70 or so pages. I have a lot of complicated and jumbled feelings about this book because while I appreciate what Morrison did, I didn't enjoy the reading experience. - 4 stars
  • THOR, VOL. 2: WHO HOLDS THE HAMMER?: Again, I love this series, and I love getting to see our new Thor get help from other heroes as well as finally finding out who holds the hammer (clearly). - 4 stars
  • MS. MARVEL, VOL. 3: CRUSHED: Ugh. This volume was completely pointless other than to show Malala being "tempted by the dark side" with very typical tropes. I expected more, but this was at least entertaining. - 3 stars
  • THE MARTIAN BY ANDY WEIR: I would like to amend my favorites list and add this book to it (you may see it on my favorite books of 2016 list). I can't really explain what made me love this book so much other than that it made me love humanity again. And survival stories. (Which is a feat because I have had a strong, five-year-running hatred of survival stories.) 

Reviews this Month

Stats

  • Favorite Read: The Martian! It was my last read of the year, and I had to (illegally) listen to the last 70 or so pages on audio to get it finished in time. But it was wonderful, and I wish I had listened to the whole thing! This book made me love people again, and it also made me love survival stories again because it's not your typical survival story.
  • Most Surprising Read: I was really expecting to fall head over heals in love with Clockwork Princess, but I didn't. I am still going to continue on with The Mortal Instruments series, but I am glad I'm going in with lower expectations.
  • Best Cover: The Martian and all the books in the Raven Cycle.
  • Wish I Hadn't Read: Girl Online . . .  let's not go into it.
What was the best book you read this month? Tell me down in the comments!

Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment