Basically, I'm The Worst at Completing Goals


I didn't do horribly with my challenges that I set for myself, but by no means did I finish all of the goals that I set for myself in 2015. Let's look at the original challenges first:

  1. Read 52 books
  2. Read 5 books that are 500 pages or more
  3. Reread 10 books (including the Harry Potter series)
  4. Read more new-to-me authors
  5. Read 3 classics
  6. Do Katytastic's TBR Jar challenge
  7. Popsugar / Goodreads group challenge

The Failures

"Reread 10 books (including the Harry Potter series)"

I did reread books, but I didn't reread 10. Nor did I complete my reread of the Harry Potter series, but I did start my reread of the Harry Potter series. 

Books I reread: the first four Harry Potter novels, The Magician's Nephew, and The Bad Beginning. 

I want to finish each of these three rereads throughout the next few years, if not next year. 

Grade: 60% - F

"Read 3 classics"

By numbers, this is more of a failure than the last. Likewise, I am significantly more disappointed in myself regarding this challenge. I only read one "classic" (more of modern classic) this year, but I read it at the very, very end of the year, and I didn't even pick it up of my own accord. 

Classics I read: Beloved by Toni Morrison

Grade: 33.33% - F


"Do Katytastic's TBR Jar Challenge"

I didn't even follow the rules for this challenge, but I had told myself from the beginning that I really just wanted to read a book in each of these categories throughout the year after the month that I pulled them out of the jar.

In accordance with my own rules, I only didn't complete two of the challenges, which actually isn't that bad. However, in accordance with the rule of "read a book that completes this challenge within the month" I didn't complete five of the challenges, but who cares about that?

Books I read for this challenge: The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hossieni, P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han, Beloved by Toni Morrison, The Circle by Dave Eggers, Vicious by V.E. Schwab, Lumberjanes, The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket, and City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

Grade: 83% - B

"2015 Popsugar Reading Challenge"

I wasn't actively participating in this challenge so much as reading books and then seeing if they fit into the challenges. So, looking at it that way, I didn't do that bad because I completed 44 of the 50 challenges! 

If you want to see which challenges I completed and which books I read for those challenges, you can go to this spreadsheet (because I don't want to bore you--nor do I want to write out--with a list of 44 books and 44 challenges).

Grade: 88% - B

Successes

"Read 52 books"

I either read 95 or 93 books in 2015! What even? I never anticipated reading more than I've ever read in a single year. I almost doubled my original reading goal. Look, even goodreads thinks I am great at reading:



Grade: 179% - A+

"Read 5 books over 500 pages"

SO glad that I had time to consume some amazing, giant books this year. (Because a lot of them ended up being favorites.)

Books read: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, The Circle by Dave Eggers, Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, and Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.

Grade: 180% - A+

"Read more new-to-me authors"

This one wasn't too difficult because I hadn't really read a lot before this year. I am really proud of myself this year for stepping out of my comfort zone.

New-to-me authors: 32 (see the spreadsheet for the full list, even then I must have missed a few)

Grade: A

How did you do with your 2015 reading goals? Tell me down in the comments!

Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment