Comic Book Round-Up: June/July 2015


Okay, so I have read a lot of awesome comic book collections this month, and I want to tell you about them (because they are amazing).

Rat Queens, Volume 2: The Far-Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth by Kurtis J. Wiebe
Published: May 6th 2015 by Image Comics



I actually got an eARC from NetGalley, but read this in print from my library.

Such a fantastic sequel to an incredible first volume. These five issues gave us action, love, and backstory.

Ahhh. The backstory. I love backstory. So much. We do only get it with two of the characters (and kind of with a third), and best of all the telling (showing?) of the backstory made sense with the storyline. It all ebbed and flowed. Oh, it was glorious.

The art style was almost better in this volume. Like the artists have gotten a firm grasp on the characters and they just know how to draw them. It's like divine intervention, but in comic form. It's lovely. Also, there were a couple gorgeous two page spreads that I was head over heels for.

In this volume (in true Image Comics fashion) there was more mature content (aka violence and nudity) than there had been in the first volume. That wasn't my favorite, but it was there and it wasn't terrible.

All-New X-Men, Volume 2: Here to Stay by Brian Michael Bendis
Published: April 1st 2014 by Marvel Comics



Yes, as you can see from the cover, the Avengers make an appearance in this volume. Did that make it better? Maybe.

But, no, that's not what I love so much about this volume.

Not only am I in love with the story (the Original 5 X-Men coming to the future X-Men in attempts to stop Scott Summers and his mutant revolution) and the fact that this is the perfect place to pick up X-Men for newbies (You should pick up the first volume, Yesterday's X-Men first, though), but I love how many more layers we got in this volume.

The X-Men are like onions; they have lots and lots of layers.

We see major character development from our young'ins, and a few characters that were kind of absent in the first volume (Warren/Angel) get more attention in this one. It's perfect.



Published: Date by Marvel Comics


Still fun and really kept my attention with all of the battle scenes that we don't get in the first ten issues.

The plot, however, has slowed to an inch-ing pace.

Like, it quit moving in the last issue. I really wanted to give this volume more stars, but I just couldn't.

Also, more on the last issue. I feel like the guest artist was misplaced (?) and was irrelevant to the overall story-line. It brought it new characters to the Marvel Now! series without bothering to explain who they are or where they came from. That last issue felt very out of place and really broke up the continuity of the series. Definitely set this volume back for me.




Ms. Marvel, Volume 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson
Published: October 30th 2014 by Marvel Comics


This story, like an origin story for Ms. Marvel, was lots of fun. I love the characters and I love the story. The beginning was just a little slow going.

I was super excited to see the diversity in this novel.

We have the classic best friend who knows the superhero's secret. (I'm hoping they fall in love, which will probably happen.)

This is definitely a comic that is available to younger readers, which I really love, but I didn't know that going into it so it wasn't as exciting and action-y as I would have liked. 

Have you read any of these comics? How soon should I pick up the next volume of Ms. Marvel? What would you suggest that I read next? Tell me down in the comments!

Tomes Project

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment