The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - Book Review


If there was ever a case of "right book at the right time", then this was it for me. I felt so slumpy in April. I couldn't read anything except graphic novels. When I picked this one up, I couldn't put it down.

Goodbye, reading slump!
MY RECOMMENDATION: Go into this book blind. 

At least, as blind as you can. There's a woman, and she takes the same train into London every day. That's all you need to know. Oh, and it's pretty great.

Saying that, I've never really read any mystery/thrillers before. I've picked up a few mysteries, but nothing as gripping and intriguing as this. 


For me, I really needed this book. With it's fast paced plot (once you got to that plot) and intriguing, unreliable narrators, The Girl on the Train  pulled me out of my slump. I don't think you should really know anything going into this book. Mysteries and thrillers tend to be better that way (or so I've heard). 

In the beginning, I did not really enjoy Rachel, but then again I had never really read a book with unreliable narrators before. I loved the journey Rachel goes on throughout this novel. Definitely thrilling. Definitely a great mystery.

While I did thoroughly enjoy this novel, I did find it slow to start, and the ending seemed a little too finger-pointy. And I wish that the ending was more than twenty pages. However, I still did find it amazing!

Content: PG-13
Language: Mild
Violence: Some - Mild
Sex: Some

The Girl on the Train  by Paula Hawkins
Published: 1 January 2015 by Riverhead Books
Format - Pages: Hardback - 336
Source: Library
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Goodreads - My Goodreads Rating
Buy It! - Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble
A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


Have you read The Girl on the Train ?  What did you think if you did? If you haven't do you want to pick it up? Tell me down below!

Happy Reading!

Tomes Project

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment