Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - Book Review


I picked this up during the Bout of Books read a thon. Oh my goodness. So many feelings.
 When I initially finished this book, I was so conflicted as to a rating. What did I think about the book? I mean, up until the last 90 pages, I was completely head over heels in love. Then the last 90 pages happened, and I threw the book across the room at one point.

Because I don't want to think about how much I didn't like that ending, let's talk about why (before the last 90 pages) I was sure that this was a 5 star book.*

*And we are going to do it in list form because lists are awesome. And that list is going to have thirteen items. Because, ya know.

1. Emily, while annoying at times, was relatable. Actually all of the characters were relatable, except for maybe Sloane, but she's not really present so it's okay. Also, I don't think Sloane is meant to be realistic. She's supposed to be this god-like figure to Emily. (And believe me, she is.)

2. It is just so much fun to read.

3. I became immersed into the story. I felt like I was in the living room theater, and that I was running alongside Porter and Emily.

4. Speaking of living room theater . . . there are so many fun, unexpected (but very much welcome) things that happen in this book.

5. FRANK PORTER. We're getting married.

6. Collins is a sweetheart. Yes, he's funny, and yes, he's the class clown. However, there is so much more to him, and it hit me right in the feels.

7. In a well ordered universe . . . 

8. It made me want to go running again, but I live in the southern United States. Running outside in the summer may result in a heat stroke.

9. Dawn, while often absent, is a good friend. She's not the best (I'm going to get into that), but she's pretty darn good for a girl who came crying into an ice cream shop.

10. The playlists need to be online somewhere.

11. I can actually see the purpose of the flashbacks and the subplot. Even though they weren't my favorite.

12. The writing was light-hearted, but not dumb. We get a 1st person POV from Emily. She sounds like a high school girl, not a thirty-odd writer trying to be a high school girl.

13. Emily's car. But don't get me started on the rain.


Now to the part that I wasn't looking forward to, especially since I just listed 13 happy things about Since You've Been Gone.  

Here's what I didn't like:

1. The ending. I don't want to spoil anything, but it kind of ruined the 5-star feeling that I had for the first 350 pages. 

2. Emily's dependence on Sloane. I had heard from Kristina Horner that this was a major problem for her when reading this book. Starting it, I didn't understand. I mean, the first thing that happens in the book is that Sloane isn't at her house. But after finishing the book, I really just want Emily to move on with her life. 

3. We don't know what happened with Collins, Dawn, and Emily's relationship. I don't want to say more because I don't want to spoil anything, but I really want to know. 

4. Sadly, Frank Porter. Remember when I said at the beginning that I threw my book across my room? Yeah, it was the thing that happened in the car and the rain. I really loved Frank. But honestly, if I were away for the summer doing something I was really passionate about, and I came home to find my boyfriend doing everything that he did with Emily, I wouldn't be happy. If you've read the book, you're probably yelling things at me about the state of Porter and Lissy's relationship. Believe me,  I get what you're saying. But that doesn't make what they did okay in my eyes. 


Saying all of those negative things, I did love this book more than I didn't. Also, I recommend it overall to pretty much everyone. I think it's good for older YA just because of the characters, but there is nothing in this that isn't  appropriate for younger YA. 

Also, everyone loves it, and I'm kind of sad to say that I couldn't give this one 5 stars.

Content: PG
Language: None (Jumps for joy!)
Violence: None
Sex: None (Jumps for joy some more!)


Since You've Been Gone  by Morgan Matson
Published: 6 May 2014
Format - Pages: Hardback - 464
Source: Book Outlet
Genre: Young Adult - Contemporary
Goodreads - My Goodreads Rating
Buy it! - Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Noble
The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.

But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just… disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try… unless they could lead back to her best friend.

Apple Picking at Night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a Stranger? Um...

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go Skinny Dipping? Wait ... what?


Have you read Since You've Been Gone  yet? Did you since "Since U Been Gone" continuously after picking this up? No, just me? Okay.

Happy Reading!

Tomes Project

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment