Blogging Hiatus Favorites (+ returning to the blog!)


Hello, stranger. How are you? My life has been absolute mayhem, and I dealt with it by . . . well, not reading but becoming obsessed with other media. Honestly, I've been kind of a wallflower the past few months, and my roots got rooted fairly deep into the carpet.

Not listed, but entirely accurate, the thing I've spent the most time doing these past months has been playing Sims 4. So, there's that.

MUSICALS




  • Come From Away: This is a phenomenal musical. It's about this small island just across the northern border of the United States called Newfoundland. There's a huge airport there that, before jet planes, was mostly used for refueling but now doesn't have much use. Except for on September 11th, 2001 when three planes were used in a terror attack on the United States, and all incoming planes were redirected to Newfoundland until the US airspace reopened. It's somehow funny while also consistently moving me to tears. It's definitely a musical that everyone should listen to.
  • Falsettos: Perhaps no other play I've listened to has perfected the balance of humor and absolute sob-inducing moments like Falsettos has. Set during the AIDS in the late 70's and early 80's, this is just a fantastic musical that I genuinely cannot stop listening to.
  • Dear Evan Hansen: Earlier in this hiatus, I was absolutely obsessed--and I mean, would not listen to anything other than this musical--for at least a solid month. It's more sad than hilarious and kind of got me into a bit of an anxious funk for a while. Even though I've had to distance myself from this musical, it still holds a nice little corner of my heart.  
  • Wicked: This was a post-DEH pick-me-up. I got re-obsessed with Wicked for a bit and channeled my inner 12-year-old Monica. 
  • In the Heights: Another happy musical I listened to post-DEH. I got obsessed with this last year after Hamilton (because LMM is amazing) and obsessively listened to it again these past few months.

MUSIC


Cleopatra: I haven't listened to a lot of new music because I've been obsessively listening to musicals, but when I'm not listening to Come From Away or Falsettos then I'm listening to the newest Lumineers album.

Star track: Ophelia.


TV SHOWS




  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Funny, hilarious, diverse. A cop show that has none of the boring cop show parts and all of the hilarious sitcom parts. 
  • Broadchurch: THIS. SHOW. I. AM. A. MESS. If you need a good show with a finite ending, you have got to watch Broadchurch. The third and final season is currently airing on BBC America. The first season is a crime drama, but the show evolves with the town and the characters, and I can't cohesively talk about this show because I'm writing this mid-season two and it's so good.
  • Great British Bake Off: (I refuse to call this The Great British Baking Show, it sounds ridiculous.) Now, I've already seen most seasons of this, but in the states, PBS runs old seasons of this during the summer. My mom and I always watch it together, and it's such a relaxing show with nice people who have fantastic accents.


MOVIES




  • Spider-Man: Homecoming: It's finally the Spider-Man we've always wanted. It was so good. I need to watch it four more times in theaters.
  • Wonder Woman: *screams from the rooftops about this movie for the next twelve years*
  • Rewatching Harry Potter: There were about seven Harry Potter weekends this summer, and it finally convinced my mother to start reading the series. It had to make the list.
And that's it! What have your non-bookish favorites been these past few months? Let me know down in the comments so I can obsess over more things before school starts back!


Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment