DNF Review: Day 21 by Kass Morgan


I read The 100  last month, and I when my TBR jar challenge was to read a series finale, I decided to finish this trilogy in April. See my review of the first book here.
I try not to DNF books so far in (I was about 54% via Goodreads), but I just couldn't do it. I really, really, really wanted to like this book, but I just COULDN'T make myself do it. I honestly don't think I'd ever been so annoyed with a book in my entire life. Not just with the characters, but with the story and the way that Morgan writes  it.

I feel like she was trying to avoid being info-dumpy at all costs, and in the process made a book with a backstory so confusing, I was begging for her to explain things to me. Nothing is explained. All of these insanely convenient things happen all the time, and Morgan just expects her readers to know what is happening in this world.


Clarke wasn't that terrible in the first book. She was just whiny about Wells and love-sick for Bellamy. I figured her character would develop in the second book. It didn't. All the characters just whined about their love interests (and past love interests) and that was pretty much the entire book. At least what I read of it. Clarke has the YA-heroine "I'm so different than all the other girls" characteristic, and it felt very trope-y and overused in this book. Clarke kept saying that she was so different and a hero and strong-willed, but then never did  anything about it. I need to see development and not just hear the character's thoughts about how they've changed so much.

What hurts me most about this series is that it could have been PHENOMENAL. I think the story needed a different writer. One that wouldn't be afraid to make this a little more Lord of the Flies  and a little less "The Bachelor" with space-teenagers. Oh, and with ONE perspective, not four.



Day 21 by Kass Morgan (The Hundred #2)
Published: 16 September 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format - Pages: Hardback - 320 pages
Source: School Library
No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now. It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.
In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100 , secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.
Do you watch the show? Have you tried reading the series? Let me know down below!

Happy Reading!

Tomes Project

2 comments on "DNF Review: Day 21 by Kass Morgan"
  1. HOW APT. I just finished The 100 today. *chokes and dies* ERgh, there is no way i'm trying book 2. Just NO WAY. I agree, though, it's definitely the writing. It felt so awkward and forced to me...which I guess isn't entirely fair to saaay, but. I just didn't enjoy it. :( I'm still tempted to try the show though because I heard it's totally different!

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAS. The show isn't anything high-quality, but it's a fun guilty pleasure show and the first season is very Lord of the Flies-y.

    ReplyDelete