Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Historical Books

December 17 - Top 5 Historical Books

1. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens


This is my top 5 books of all time, so naturally it has made my list of top 5 historical books. I had to read this book in school, but I didn't have any dread coming into it because it was a book that no one else in my school had to read because we had a new teacher. Since then, I've reread it at least twice and quickly made it into my favorites. This novel follows Doctor Manette when he is released from the Bastille. The before takes place before and during the French Revolution. It also follows the lives of two very different men, Syndey Carton and Charles Darnay, who both are madly in love with Doctor Manette's daughter, Lucie.

2. Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


Sherlock Holmes is a character that everyone knows but not that many people have read about. If you haven't heard of Sherlock Holmes by now, I don't know where you've lived. If you've never read the books, and if you have seen any adaptation of these stories, I would encourage you to read them. They're great.

3. Essential Tales and Poems - Edgar Allan Poe


I love Poe. You can't deny his importance in literature; you just can't. He is the father of the short story, and my personal favorite of the dark romantics. His poems are haunting and beautiful with their constant rhyming. Even his short stories rhyme within the writing. I picked up this book the other day because I hadn't owned any Poe, but I had studied him and school and loved him. If you're a skeptic about Poe or if you read him in school and were a little intimidated, I would pick this up because they don't show you the good stuff in school.

4. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte


First off, if you're scared of this book because of it's size but otherwise are intrigued by it, go to Books a Million and ask them for this "Lifetime Library" edition of it because it's half the size of the others. The words are small, the pages are thin, but the size is much less intimidating. Jane Eyre is an orphan who lives with her aunt and her children. Her aunt hates her, and ends up in the Lowood girl's school. And when she becomes a governess, she meets Mr. Rochester. 

5. All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr


I haven't read this book yet. However, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this book, so I feel as though I can put this in here as my top 5 because I'm already in love. I mean, look at that cover.

goodreads group
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment