Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda | Review


WOW. Wow wow wow wow wow wow.

Note: this is the first book in absolute ages (possibly ever) that I have finished in under 24 hours. I listened to a lot of it on audio while doing menial tasks throughout the day and then stayed up until 5 AM reading this because I am so in love with Simon and Blue.

A second note: This post has been sitting in my drafts for actual months. I still love it as much as the moment I finished it.



I knew people loved this book, so naturally, I went in skeptical because 9 times out of 10 I am that one person that didn't like TFIOS, Eleanor & Park, Will Herondale, etc. So I went in skeptical and was instantly shocked with how much I adored Simon and his Bachelor(ette) watching family, even if they do watch it at the wrong time of the year (but that's really not something normal people would notice). I had my guesses to Blue's identity. However, just over halfway through, I was starting to get worried because there is no way that people liked Guy A (name redacted because of spoilers) as Blue. No fucking way. Half of me was worried this was going to be a 9 out of 10 situations and then kept to my trust in my book friends and a blind trust that Becky Albertalli wasn't cliche as fuck.

And she wasn't.

And I was happy.


Honestly, I can't think of a single thing that I didn't enjoy about this book. It creates suspense. It plays with tropes. I was rooting for Simon. I hated Martin. The friendships were refreshingly honest for YA; they weren't all happy all the time but had obstacles to overcome. The romance is fucking adorable. Albertalli in not so many words says to teens that "Masturbation to Drarry fanfic is completely normal" which I've never seen in YA and gets a major thumbs up from me. She also nails the southern USA, said from a Tennessean. It was compulsively readable and addicting. I adored the emails between Blue and Simon. It gets straight to the point and doesn't spend three chapter idling around. Simon's unique voice is distinct and lovable.


5 well-deserved stars to you, Becky Albertalli. 5 stars to you and Simon and Blue.


TLDR: JUST READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.



Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment