Series I'll Never Finish | 2016


I should probably go through the classic disclaimer. *clears throat*

I am not trying to offend you if your favorite series is on this list. (And, to be honest, it probably is.) These series were just not for me. They may, however, be for you.

Also, these are not all series that I read in 2016. In fact, most of them aren't. However, I've never done a post on this, and by this point, some of these series are long overdue some closure. Also, this post was supposed to go up last week, but nonetheless:


Welcome to Day 2 of Series Week


Read: The Giver, Gathering Blue
Unread: Messenger, Son

Speaking of closure, I read The Giver and Gathering Blue both in middle school. I remember absolutely nothing about these books. That is not an exaggeration. I could not tell you a single thing about either of those books, and I did a book report for one and saw the play production of the other. So when I say nothing, I mean nothing. 

At this point, I would have to reread those two books, and I just think it's time to move on. (And I've heard that this series has a very unsatisfying ending, and I'm just not about to put in all that work for a meh ending.)


Read: The 100, Day 21
Unread: Homecoming

The One Where the TV Show Was Better Than the Book. Yeah, this was super disappointing. I think you can find my DNF review of Day 21 somewhere in my archives; however, it's horrendously old and I don't want to embarrass myself, but search on if you must. 

The idea behind these books is amazing. I mean, just look at the success of the TV show. However, the books are too short and too dull. Nothing happens in them. I found the characters relentlessly annoying and completely forgettable since this tiny 220-page book switches between five different points of view. 70 pages with a character is not enough to get attached. I know there are people that enjoy these books, but I'll just stick with the show, thanks.


Read: Cinder, Scarlet
Unread: Cress, Fairest, Winter, Stars Above

This series just wasn't for me for a variety of reasons. 1) I don't really like the story of Cinderella and 2) I don't particularly like space. At all. I might eventually read through the rest of Cress eventually because I do like that it sticks to a bunch of the original fairytale, but I have no interest in the overarching plot of this series. 


Read: The Sword of Summer
Unread: The Hammer of Thor

I only ever read half of the first book in this series, but this is more of a closure for myself about not reading any more Rick Riordan. I read and loved the Percy Jackson series when I was younger; it was responsible for getting me back into reading, so how could I not? However, I think I've outgrown his work. I think what he's doing is fantastic: making history and mythology fun for middle-grade readers. But at this point in my life, I'd rather just read about the mythology itself.


Read: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Unread: The Evolution of Mara Dyer, The Retribution of Mara Dyer

I read the first book of this series this year, and there was nothing wrong with it but it just wasn't anything special. I had a lot of issues with the love interest in this book, which I imagine will only get worse with time, but I did really like the idea behind this story. Also, this has one of the best book brothers ever. I want one of him for myself.


Read: The Kiss of Deception
Unread: The Heart of Betrayal, The Beauty of Darkness

Another book that I DNFed, but wasn't any fault of the book. It just was too romance-focused for my tastes. Also, the cover of the first book always makes me think of The Princess Bride and those are just impossible standards to set.


 Read: The Selection, The Elite, The One
Unread: The Heir, The Crown


I'm never going to read the continuation of this series. Eadlyn was a grade A annoyance, and as the main character, I couldn't stand reading more than the first ten pages of The Heir. 


Read: Throne of Glass
Unread: The Assassin's Blade, Crown of Midnight, Heir of Fire, Queen of Shadows, Empire of Storms

*hides* I really, really disliked the first book in this series. I hate Sarah J. Maas's writing style, and after reading A Court of Wings and Ruin I will forever swear off SJM's books. 


Read: The Wrath and the Dawn
Unread: The Rose and the Dagger

This was another one that I DNFed. I just didn't see the appeal of this. It immediately pushed you into the story with no build up or explanation at all.

That's it. Please don't hate me. Are any of these on your abandoned list? What other series are on your abandoned list? Tell me down in comments!



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment