17 Books to Read in 2017


I mean, there are far more than seventeen books that I would like to read in this year, but I've pinned down some of the ones that I would really like to read. I've also shaped this list to, hopefully, help guide my reading into the direction that I would like it to go in this year and future years: a mix of young adult and adult books as well as a few classics. Also, that one series that I've had unfinished since elementary school.  

These are all books that I personally own and have been sat, unread, on my shelves for too long. Too long, I say!



Part one of this list is The Chronicles of Narnia. My reread of the first book, The Magician's Nephew, was my first read of 2017. I have also reread The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe so now I am well set to continue on with this series. There are five remaining books in this series, and if I don't finish it this year, I don't know what I'll do with myself but the level of disappointment will be incredible.

  • The Mime Order: I was and am an avid fan of the first book in this series, The Bone Season, which came out a few years ago now and was one of the first books I read and adored here on Tomes Project. (The mems, the mems, guys.)
  • The  Black Prism: I have, since drafting this post, already aquired the second book in this series despite not reading the first book. Guys, I'm supposed to be on a book buying ban. I think January has been a good "weening" month for me and February will be full-blown "read 5 before you buy" ban. Anyway, this is a five-book-fantasy series that has been recieving amazing reviews over the past few years. The magic system deals with light which is super unique, and the more colors of the spectrum you can control, the more powerful you are.
  • My Brilliant Friend: I've heard endless good things about this series. Also, it's translated fiction, which I want to read more of anyway.
  • The Night Circus: I've never really been a fan of the circus. Ever since I went as a kid, I just have been very anti-circus. Clowns weren't there, but those are horrible too. But this circus has magic. I've had this book on my shelf forever. It's ridiculous.

  • The Awakening: This is important feminist lit. How the heck have I not read this?
  • Jane Eyre: Every bookish girl who has ever read this book absolutely loves this. I need to join their ranks.
  • Pride and Prejudice: Every person on earth has read this except for me.
  • Franny and Zooey: I've never read any Salinger, but a few friends of mine have read this and loved it. I want to be able to discuss this with them!

  • Gemina: I mean, Illuminae was one of my favorite books of 2015, and I went to Jay and Amie's event when they came to Nashville. I've had this for too long. It needs to be read.
  • This Savage Song: As I'm writing this, I'm actually a good chunk of the way through this one. Victoria Schwab is one of my all-time favorite authors. She's brilliant, and I'm loving this so far. 
  • A Madness So Discreet: Trina @ Between Chapters is a friend that I have gained over the past year, and she's Mindy's #1 fan. I want to read some of her books so that I can talk to her about them. Also, Mindy is coming to SEYA fest in Tennessee in March. I'd like to have read at least one of her books before then.
  • Crooked Kingdom: I'm about halfway through this. I've read the first half of this book about twice (maybe three times) now. It's not bad. I just don't want series to end because I have commitment issues. 
Have you read any of these? Which should I finish first. Convince me to read all of these ASAP with your words of praise down in the comments!



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment