The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Book Review


 I've only ever met one person that didn't like this book. I had to read this book for my Modern Literature course at school. Also, I bought the book and movie for my mom for Christmas. I needed to read it.
I'm so glad I read this.

And not it in the "I'm glad I read this so that I can say that I've read it" way. Which is a good thing. 

Let's start with Liesel. I adore Liesel, the book thief. So well developed and shaped. Death is the narrator in this story, and he is telling us Liesel's story. He knows what happens to her in the end, as he is Death, he knows how everyone dies. Our narrator is very much attached to Liesel and he story, so he takes great care in telling us all about her. Liesel is a German girl in Germany during WWII. So we don't see a lot of the nitty-gritty, but we do see things that often aren't shown in other books surrounding WWII. 

We definitely see a different side to Germany than is often presented, something I find extremely important in a young adult book about World War II that is meant for all ages. 



This book is artfully done, crafted in such a way as to soften the ending for younger and older readers alike. However, as this is a book narrated by Death, he is very blunt about what other Germans are doing in the world, bombing cities. 

Zusak creates a very unique narrator that I don't want to say too much about. I want you to figure him out yourself because he sure is a character.

Rudy, Max, Hans, and Rosa. Oh, Rosa. She's a favorite of mine in amount of change seen in a character. 

None can surpass Papa, though. I didn't cry, but I did well up considerably. I knew it was going to happen. I have the wonderful writing to thank for my lack of tears, something that is actually very much appreciated.


I would like to mention that I half-listened to the audiobook for this. So if you're wary to pick up an almost 600 page novel, the narrator of the audiobook is great, and I highly recommend it as well.

I recommend this to absolutely everyone if you are one of the few who have not read it yet.
Content: PG
Language: Various cursing in German and English
Violence: I mean, it's set in WWII.


The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak
Published: 1 September 2005 by Alfred A. Knopf
Format - Pages: Hardcover - 567 pages
Source: Book Outlet
Genre: YA Historical Fictional
It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will be busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Gravedigger's Handbook, left behind there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordian-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.


Have you read The Book Thief? Probably. Tell me your thoughts about the book below!

Happy Reading!

Tomes Project

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment