Favorite Books of 2017 (So Far)


I've seen a few people do posts like this this and last year, and I prefer it to the Mid-Year Book Freak Out because I don't have to talk about books I didn't like. Also, I've read some fantastic books so far this year, and if this list is any indication, then making a single list at the end of the year will be near impossible.

Now, these aren't all books that released in 2017 (though many of them are), but rather books that I have read and loved so far this year. Also, these are in no particular order because I could not do that to my children.

All links go to my full Goodreads reviews if you want more detail about my thoughts!
  • FAKING NORMAL: This is definitely a book that I would never have picked up because there's a person on the cover, and nothing about it is particularly striking. But I got to listen to Courtney Stevens talk on a panel at SEYA-fest in March and immediately went to buy her book. This is an honest and raw depiction of how one girl handles the time after being raped. 
  • WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI: I'm sure 99% of you have heard all the great and wonderful praise about this book, but it's all true. It's kind of ridiculous, but it's basically a Bollywood movie in a book so it's ridiculous by nature but also extremely heartwarming. 
  • THE UPSIDE OF UNREQUITED: Another one that so many people have read and loved this year, but it really is that good. For me, it was so amazing to see Albertalli's writing improve, but I also adored how she connected this book to her previous one. It's almost Matson-like and it's probably one of my favorite things that contemporary authors can do.
  • A CONJURING OF LIGHT: I was pretty skeptical going into this final book in the Shades of Magic trilogy because I was not a huge fan of the second book. But I adored how Schwab concluded this series and wrapped up everyone's character arcs. I loved this.
  • MARCH, BOOKS ONE AND TWO: If there is one (or two, technicalities) book that I would tell every single person to read, it would be this one. 
  • RADIO SILENCE: Now, I said that these were in no particular order, which is true about all the books except this one. If I had to pick a singular favorite book of the year at this point, I would tell you Radio Silence. This book is phenomenal. 
  • SLEEPING GIANTS: I only gave this book 3.5 stars, but this book was still one of my favorite reads (and listens--pick up the audiobook if you can) this year. (Clearly, it's on the list.)
  • GIANT DAYS, VOL. 4: Definitely my favorite volume of this comic series so far. It's also just one of my favorite comics out on the market right now. I can only tell y'all to read this so many times.
  • EXIT WEST: Just an amazing, amazing book. It's a refugee novel with magical elements and it's done absolutely wonderfully. This is a short book, less than 250 pages, and absolutely flies by. 
What have been some of your favorite reads so far this year? Have you read any of these? Are they on your TBR? Tell me down in comments!


Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment