TEN 2016 RELEASES: THE DNFs, DISAPPOINTMENTS, THE GOOD & THE UNTOUCHED

"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish to share lists (because we love them) about books and bookish things.
Let's start off this post on a positive note, yes?

THE GOOD


the 2016 releases that I've read and enjoyed


1. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas: dfaeoufppihaoifhdfa < an accurate representation about my feelings on this book. I had problems with the writing (like I always do with Maas), but this is fantastic and the feels and the men. Oh, the men!
2. Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston: WOW. So moving and important. It's a story of a girl who is at cheerleading camp where she gets drugged, raped, and left for all but dead. An excellent re-imagining of Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale, and now I am very interested in more of Johnston's work.
3. Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell: A short story from the UK's World Book day. My only complaint here is that the US doesn't have a WBD. WHY DON'T WE HAVE WORLD BOOK DAY? Let's start a movement.
4. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson: This was everything that I wanted and more. The best MM book I've read to date.

Sorry to say it, but the post just goes downhill from here, guys.

THE DNFs


the 2016 releases that I tried to read, but then gave up on


5. Wink Poppy Midnight: I could not get through this. The writing was just very bottom of the barrel for me, and if you've followed me for a while then you know I don't do shoddy writing.
6. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken: I started this immediately when it came out, but I was in the middle of a very hard semester. This book has very tiny margins with lots of words crammed on one page . . . it's also 400+ pages. I just didn't have the time, but I will get to it!

THE UNTOUCHED


some of my most anticipated 2016 releases that I haven't even tried to start reading


7. Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor: WHY HAVEN'T I PICKED THIS UP. IT'S TIME TRAVEL + HISTORICAL FICTION + OUTLANDER. MY FAVORITE THINGS.
8. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys: Again, this is historical fiction. I don't know why I haven't gotten to it, but the fact is that the most I've touched this one is moving it from spot to spot on my shelves.
9. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig: Again, time travel + historical fiction. All the buzz words. I do currently have the audiobook from my library, so fingers crossed I read this soon.
10. The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater: This should really go in the last category, but it would just hurt me too much to put it there. Technically I'm "currently reading it" and I've been "currently reading it" since release day. I mean it has been untouched for at least two weeks, so it counts? (This is my blog, I do what I want.)


THE DISAPPOINTMENT


the book that I was looking forward to, but ultimately let me down


11. Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare: I'm just going to leave you with the review (linked on the title), but basically it boils down to a few things: a) I couldn't ship the ship b) I had insane expectations and c) everything where I felt Clare's writing improved in COHF just went right back down the drain. *hides from raging fans*

What was on your top 10 list this week? Have you actually finished more 2016 releases than I have? Which was your favorite?! Tell me down in the comments!


Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment