Bookmas Day 6: Six Books That Fell Prey to the Hype

Guys, it's almost Christmas!! Hailey @ HailsHeartsNYC created a 12 days of Christmas based book challenges alongside a "read as much as you can" readathon. She made a video explaining each of the daily challenges on her youtube channel here.

On the sixth day of Bookmas, my true love gave to me six overhyped releases.

I would first like to point out that my true love wouldn't give me overhyped releases because he would know me too well to put me through the torture of pretending I liked these books.

I would also like to preface this list with this: I am not bashing any of these books. If these are some of your favorite books, I am not calling you and/or your reading tastes stupid. I personally, just did not like these books--mainly because they didn't live up to my expectations.
  • Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: To me, it felt like a hundred Harry Potter fanfictions that I had read before. Nothing was new. Nothing was different, and I hated her writing style. (Also, I have purposely spoiled myself for the rest of the books in this series, and it just sounds unnecessarily ridiculous.)
  • Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon: I don't like predictable books. The journey that this book took me on was okay, but it wasn't anything special for me. It's the classic YA with instalove that corrects all issues. (And apparently, love is the most important thing in the world? No thanks.)
  • We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: I might partially blame the audiobook for this one as well. I didn't even make it a third of the way through this audiobook before I had to pull over at a rest stop and download something else. I thought the characters were just generally horrible people, and the narrator made it sound too much like an episode of Gossip Girl where the rich kids are complaining about how much they hate being on their private island. Shut up. 
  • The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer: These books are too long. For a book called Scarlet I want to read about Scarlet, and not spend half of the book with Cinder (whom I didn't really like in the first place). 
  • Eleanor & Park  by Rainbow Rowell: This is another one that was just okay for me. It was the not-instalove that still solved all the protagonist's problems. Also, it was predictable.
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: I get it, she has cancer. She's sad. But get up and do something other than watch America's Next Top Model. Thank you.
Well, now that you guys all hate me, tell me some of the books that you think are overhyped down in the comments!

Follow

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment