Tuesday Talks: Book Covers

"Tuesday Talks" is a weekly meme hosted by Janie @ Bookworm Buddy on YouTube to share our thoughts and feelings on bookish topics. You can find the goodreads group here. 

Book Covers

It's a touchy topic, and as much as I wish it wasn't true, a book's cover can make it or break it. Personally, I've never known a person that loves a book-face. Unless it's tastefully done, I steer clear of them. Like the plague. Actually, any real-life people (or parts of people) just turn me away, again unless it's tastefully done. 

Example: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown  by Holly Black

I haven't read it yet, and upon first examination, the cover wasn't my favorite. However, the more and more I look at it, I just hate that the hand on the cover is a little too real looking for my tastes. If it had been a sketch or an animation instead of something that may or may not be a human hand, I would like it considerable more. 

Silhouettes I can do. Outlines I can do. Artwork I can do. Sometimes I can do people too.

See, I'm not totally opposed to people.

Simplicity

One of the key things I like in a book cover. Some of my favorite covers are just a black and white design with the title and author in simple font. Most of the time these have little pokes at things that happen in the story that only people who have read it will understand. However, that's not always the case (**cough** The Bone Season  **cough**), but they're still stunning. 

My favorite thing though:

Typography

A simple cover with some stunning or even simple typography. 

Some nice typography a simple background, I'm sold.


What about you? What do you like in a book cover?

Do you agree with my choices? Let me know down in the comments!

Happy Reading!

Tomes Project

4 comments on "Tuesday Talks: Book Covers"
  1. Oh! You're not alone in the island! I love my book covers simple, too! In fact, I did a list a while back and they're mostly, if not all, minimalist. I especially love, typography, silhouettes and pastel colors. Although, I don't have a problem with the real-people thingy. If you haven't already, check out Pop! Goes the Reader. She compiles stunning, lovely collections of book covers both for YAs and MGs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH! How have I not seen this blog before?! It's blog goals for sure. The graphics. Ooooohh. The graphics. Now I feel terrible about myself. Thanks, Shelumiel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, I rely too heavily on a cover; I'm one of those people who won't give a book a second glance if the cover isn't pretty (I'm so book shallow lol). I'm not necessarily on the same page with you as far as the simpler the better, though I agree that sometimes covers get crazy lol and too jumbled. (I may also love the Coldest Girl in Coldtown Cover lol) I do agree that covers with like, an actual picture of a person's face tend to be weird. I prefer, if you're going to go the route of actual people, not drawings, to be the full person, not just their face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I don't know how the person thing came about, but I just really hate it. And minimalist is just the way I like my book covers.

    ReplyDelete