34. The Hobbit or There and Back Again

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien 

Began: Tuesday March 18th 2014
Finished: Thursday March 27th 2014

I was first introduced to Lord of the Rings and J.R.R. Tolkien as a little girl. I remember watching the Lord of the Ring films with my family and hiding under my blanket whenever Gollum came on the screen because he scared me. I was introduced to The Hobbit when my older sister was in high school and had to read it for sophomore English -they even made their English teacher a hobbit hole to surprise her! I was re-introduced when the Hobbit movie came around, and I put off reading it for as long as I could. However, I couldn't resist picking it off the shelf at Walmart when I passed it after babysitting on Tuesday. I immediately started it when I got home.

This book pleasantly surprised me. I did thoroughly enjoy it, and now I cannot wait for my shipment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy to come in so that I can get to work on those as well.

The thing that I admire the most of Tolkien's novel is indeed Bilbo. I admire his unfading loyalty, his cunning nature, and his courage, but mostly the loyalty. When thirteen dwarves waltz into his precious hobbit hole without an explanation, he doesn't force them to leave. Instead, he gives them his food and his bedrooms and his tea all without a question.

While the "races" if you will are segregated throughout the novel, Bilbo -a hobbit- journeys with thirteen dwarves and a wizard. The loyalty between the dwarves is already established because they are of the same "race" while loyalty to Bilbo takes a little more time, but after a while they grow as loyal to him as they are their own dwarves. While the group does have their trust issues, Gandalf brings them together and forces them to coexist.

Another thing I truly admire about Bilbo is his insane amount of courage. He is the least experienced person in the group with stepping outside of their comfort zone, yet he is most often the one who does most of the courageous acts. In fact he goes into the dragon's lair alone! He doesn't know what to expect, but he embraces it.

I think we could all learn a thing or two from Bilbo.

Quotes
"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks." - Gandalf

"I think I shall be off and wish you like the eagles 'farewell wherever you fare!'" - Gandalf

"It is horrible being all alone." - Bilbo

"I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" - Gandalf
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment